...and welcomed little Tristan to the world (he was born 2 days after Faire’s birthday). Since then, having to adjust into that role on top of transiting into a work from home environment due to COVID-19 has truly been a challenge - I figured if I was feeling this way, other dads must be experiencing the same.
Now that I’ve managed the transition well, I’d like to share my experience on how you can be more productive at home while still achieving this balancing act of being a father, a husband and having to work at the same time. Naturally, I have included some products and personal recommendations of my own for gift ideas, or something to get for yourself! I’m also giving a 15% site-wide discount till the 21st of June. Just a couple of things to note:
Checkout with promocode FAIREDAD15
Place your orders before the 16th of June (For local orders only) to ensure delivery before Father’s day
The discount is applicable to products on pre-order but do take note that they will not arrive before Father’s Day
If you’re not sure of what to get, just get Dad the gift card!
Happy Father’s day to all of you dads around the world - I salute you.
1. Draw up a timetable and start the day early. This probably sounds very old school but I have found that it helps me to create a routine for this new normal. I’ve also learnt that if it’s possible, blending your work as part of your daily schedule does help to make it feel more enjoyable instead of always starting work at 9 and rushing to finish your work by 6.
While this does mean that you end up working till 8 or even 9pm, it’s also because you get nice breaks in between like playing with your kid or even helping the wife out with feeding. Alternatively, you could also use the time to read a book, or whatever it is you fancy to charge those mental batteries.
2. Have a work station set up in a neat and tidy manner. This helps you with getting everything in place for you to be productive. It’s not just Faire products I’m talking about, its everything from your stationery and other essentials, down to a place for that much-needed cup of coffee. After all, this is truly what Faire is about - it’s a lifestyle centred on functionality, productivity and efficiency.
3. Okay so this is where I might divide opinion but sometimes I find that listening to music helps me to focus. Depending on what I’m doing, I often have a variety of playlists to keep me going - mood boosters for the mundane but necessary and familiar or classic ballads for when brain drains happen just to name a few. Besides, you’re going to need a good headset or earpiece for those zoom calls too.
4. The way I look at it, work will always keep coming and I often find it senseless to bury myself in it (especially if your work requires you to conceptualise or be creative). This is why I recommend to never skip your meals or work while you’re eating. Spend time with your family and let them recharge you. Think of it as taking a power nap so you can go on for longer.
5. This is pretty unorthodox but I realised that it does help to distract my son. I get a cheeky workout in every now and then because breaking a sweat sometimes is what you need to get those creative juices flowing. I realise that when I’m off doing my planks, pulls, squats or push ups, it entertains him and also allows for my wife to have some of her own personal time to do her own things!
All in all, I know how difficult it is to be a work from home dad and I hope the above does somehow help you - if it doesn’t then I sincerely hope that the discount helps at the very least! As promised, here are some of my personal recommendations for gifting ideas for dad or if you want to pamper yourself:
What: Freshly roasted coffee right in Singapore with a great selection.
Why: Perk Coffee believes that fresher is better and that’s why they roast weekly right in Singapore and send out beans within 48 hours of roasting. This ensures that you get to enjoy coffee at its best. But what I love most about Perk is their flexibility - they give you the option to buy coffee or sign up for a subscription. They also make choosing the right coffee so easy based on the tasting notes they provide and it’s a perfect gift for dad!
What:Combining high tech materials and innovative design, PITAKA enhances your world with technology and style.
Why:This is quite the brand to buy from if Dad geeks out on tech as they’ve successfully combined the art of design with engineering and technology to create top-quality products. If you want an idea of what I’ve described, just checkout their Air Omni: a 6-in-1 ultimate charging station that powers up iOS & Android devices with a convertible Type-C & Lightning connector - the true epitome of tech and design.
Promocode:Checkout with promocode TECHDAD15 for a 15% off site-wide discount until the 22nd of June 2020.
What: Grooming products that make styling your hair and looking good effortless.
Why: Their matte wax and classic pomade have been lauded by those in the know. From being featured in Augustman’s Editor’s Choice to Prestige magazine’s grooming gift guide, you won’t go wrong with hair products that have such a firm hold, are scalp friendly and smell so darn good. Suavesmith has also formulated a hydrating facial cleanser with coconut essence that leaves your skin feeling clean, smooth, and refreshed; perfect for those with an active lifestyle.
What: Audio products from SONOS and Klipsch via exclusive distributor, TC Acoustic.
Why: A leading player in the audio distribution industry in Singapore, TC Acoustic provides the best gift option if dad’s a music lover or frequently goes into work calls during this work-from-home phase. No matter what you want to listen to, SONOS fills the room with clear, detailed sound you can feel all around you. With Klipsch, explore their True Wireless range and experience no wires and seamless connection to the device of your choice - in other words, whether it’s a bluetooth speaker to listen to great music at home or wireless in-ear headphones for if you have an active lifestyle or frequent calls, look no further than SONOS and Klipsch respectively.
Promocode*:Get 5% off with “TCAFAIRE5” (Valid till 8th September 2020) or explore products that are already at a promo price!
*Promocode only applies to products that are not on sale